Tuesday, September 30, 2008

LABS!

We've done two labs so far for A&P, and although neither were dissections the 2nd lab was really intersting.

LAB #1
Okay, so we did this exact same lab in Bio & I pretty much hope I never have to do it again...I don't want to draw any more upside down, newsprint "e's", thank you very much. Basically this lab is done to teach you how to use a microscope; where the parts are, what they are called, how to focus, etc. I have to admit, I think all this practice is helping my microscope focusing abilities. The first thing we looked at was a newsprint "e", then some colored strings and cheek cells, woo hoo! Then we answered a whole bunch of questions about how the "e",the strings, and the cheek cells looked under the microscope, and we drew some pictures too. Sounds exciting! I know you're all jealous! I'll try to put up some pictures of my exciting drawings!

LAB #2
This lab was a bit more interesting than the first, probably only because I'd never done it before. This lab was all about cells, so we looked at samples of a bunch of different types of cells under the microscope. We looked at red blood cells, sperm cells (they are very cute), smooth muscle cells, epithelial cells, neurons, and whitefish blastula. The point of this lab was to note that all cells do not look the same & we were trying to identify some of the different cell parts; mainly the plasma membrane, the nucleus, and if we were lucky maybe some mitochondria or other organelles. I wasn't lucky, all I saw were plasma membranes & nuclei. We also did some more drawings and answered some more questions. I will try to post these drawings as well. Overall, the cells were all very interesting to look at, but the sperm and the red blood cells were my favorites!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, no fair! I didn't get to look at any colored strings!

Becky Hartman said...

Ha Ha! I guess I'm just luckier than you!